Monday, March 24, 2008

Spur of the Moment Quilt


Once in a while, perhaps once a year, I see a quilt in a magazine and think: that should be quick and easy and I know just the fabric I could use. Then I get busy and make it spit-spat like Mary Poppins says -- at least the top. Here's a lay out in the recent newsletter of the Ameican Quilter's Society. I actually don't think it's very pretty and I've kind of avoided quilts that have a stained glass effect. But --

I knew the exact fabric I could use -- pastels with gold patterning, too glitzy and yet something about them appealed to me. So I followed the quite easy dircitons -- use 24 10-1/2 squares cut them a shuffle them to get different color combinations Then sew them together using narrow stripping. Super easy, I had a navy that would make nice stripping.
And quick=quick it was done, all the main part is together. I've decided on a border -- NOT red -- that calms the piece down a little, and a backing that should be just fine. I think it's going to be too glitzy and pastel-y for me and will be given away somewhere unless I see an opportunity to sell it. I'm not sure how to quilt it. There's the rub -- if I can't decide on quilting it could move into UFO-dom ... I hope not. We'll see.

No comments :