Tuesday, December 01, 2009

On my design wall


I have been in a "finishing" mode and only slowly putting together the hexagons for this one-square quilt. Rachel and I were shopping when she found this Amy Butler fabric and thought it would work interestingly in this type of quilt. Normally I am not a fan of Amy Butler's designs but this one offered a big pattern, really 22x22 which meant a lot of possibilities. -- The wall photo is in artificial light so it looks creamier than it is, and the swatch photo below is in natural light so the colors are truer.
I so love my felt design wall! Those hexagons are held there simply by friction, not a pin on the whole wall, I can move them around as I like. Rachel came over the other evening and made a few adjustments. It's going to hang there a few more days before I start to sew them together. There are, in fact, quite a few more hexagons, several not yet sewn together -- they are mostly the light background with little bits of design. Maybe I'll use some of them in the main design, maybe I'll make a border. perhaps only on a couple of sides ... possibilities abound. They could go on the back or they could be used for other items like a table runner or a smaller wall quilt. I really love the "what if" aspect of quilting.

3 comments :

Marie aka Grams said...

Oh so beautiful, June. I once thought of making a similar quilt but I'm just not courageous or experienced enough to go for it.
It's lovely.

Nellie's Needles said...

Now, who would have imagined this beauty could come from that fabric. Yeah! that you did. It's wonderful.

Evelyn said...

June, that is so gorgeous!! I love the colors to start with, and the patterns that emerged are so cool.