Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year To Do List

If I didn't have a to-do list, I'd quick find some new projects. Happily I have only two UFOs and I am actively working on them. There's the shirting strip quilt that I'm quilting and will have done in a few days. And there's the hexagon cream and sage quilt that is being thought about actively, i.e., I'm not quite sure how I want to handle the borders and I'm mulling -- yes, I call that active.

Otherwise I have started two more which I will handle as I think of a favorite axiom, "The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step." So a quilt made of 5x5 blocks, reversible, quilt-as-you go, is happening five or six blocks at a time. Likewise another Carol Doak star quilt, this one will be bed size and will also be quilt-as-you go. So far only one block is done, but, of course it's 12x12 so it won't take as many as the 5x5. And another paper pieced quilt has been on my mind for about three years which I think it's time to start, again block by block.

I like having multiple projects in progress. I also read books this way. No, I don't have attention deficit disorder, I like variety and I don't have any sort of deadlines. I always have something interesting calling to me to pay attention. Yet if something else arises -- say an invitation to a Scrabble game -- off I go with no guilt whatsoever.

I was wondering how many quilts I made this year when I was sewing this morning. The answer is I don't know. I could scroll back through my blogs and count, but I won't do that. I'll just say, enough quilts to be happy about it. Should I decide to keep a log of quilts this year? No, I don't think I'll do that. The photos of the finished ones are in the file and new photos be added as finished. I don't need to be more compulsive than that.

May the quilters who read this have a happy year of quilting, with new learnings, new challenges, new satisfactions and plenty of cuddly warmth at night.

No comments :