Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Angry Drunkard Stumbles Home

onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgzjiOyJ97Ka8f9pZMYiJhpS-L0D37bKmiCWpdSWTo3tzbiLKcic1YiZeCk3kay8k1b5gnAutuiYJCM00ZqBHsJpRNJX5qj9OhWhqP70tKaGhgUWTOKJqQ3WYcOGD6LS7OshbbpLQ/s1600-h/PICT0468.JPG">

"The Angry Drunkard Staggers Home" is the title of this now complete throw-size quilt -- obviously it is a traditional drunkard's path setting, the poor sot's too drunk to do anything but mumble a little as he staggers home, all his anger being contained in the reds on the back. I'm glad the quilt is finished.

onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj0PKtn9Vt8edB_r7a3MfJ7uaYEqKdMCOCHg7wmvfSxlEEA9GAL_Xg231H6rNhcZ2XxZp77EuN3GmpXouS2XKLvAISsZYxNUsZOgUJeflo_wNHel6qbJ0j-0HBI48YN75vh4ZDW3Q/s1600-h/PICT0467.JPG">

And here is one I started this morning -- it's called "Endless Chain" and is a vintage [1930s] pattern from a Quilters Newsletter Magazine many issues ago. It will be entirely a scrap quilt. I love using up pieces from my scrap bag and it looks like I'm still on a bit of a red binge. Half the non-white pieces will be red scraps and the other half will be scraps that are lighter but at somewhat harmonious. I will particularly try to use calicos and rather dope prints like the one in this block. If you click the picture to enlarge it, you can see some of the pattern I'm using. My first impulse was that it should be paper pieced but then it looked so easy I made templates from cardboad, put half a square together and saw that my first impulse was the only workable one for me. This square was paper pieces as will be all the rest. It's a ten inch square so for a twin bed quilt I'll make 35 squares. And then give it a not very wide border.

I really enjoy having some paper piecing project going that I do one or two square a day [or work session] as I work on something else. I spent quite a bit of time deciding what stripping to use with the batik stash pieces I pictured a few days ago. Settled on purples. Didn't start sewing but will tomorrow I think. Once upon a time purples would have been anathema to me but I've become much more inclusive as I've quilted a lot more. I think I will like it and I have a rather wild batik fabric for a backing. This should be a fairly quick quilt ... famous last words, of course. I know, I know, I know ... projects always take longer ... etc.

1 comment :

Evelyn said...

The title of your post (and the name for your quilt) made me laugh out loud! I love it! And the quilt looks beautiful too. :-)