Monday, April 28, 2008

Not senility, Somenex

About once every couple of months I have a toss-and-turn night when I can feel the quality of restlessness is not going to turn off easily. Not that there's any specific thing I'm worrying about or keyed up over. So I put on the timed radio and try to fall asleep to whatever classical music is playing. One would think a Delius Nocturne would be dull enough to do the trick, but no. After midnight there was Schmidt's first symphony [Yes there is a Schmidt, a Budapester who died in the 1930s]. And so it went from 11:30 to 12:30 to 2:00 and I wasn't any closer to sleep. This is so rare that I haven't asked my MD for a RX drug, I resort to Somenex OTC or if there's arthritic pain in a knee Tylenol PM. My impression is that I am suspectable to most any drug that is taken so rarely and the placebo effect is not to be discounted. But it works.

The crummy thing is if I've waited until after 2:00 to take it, I don't really feel like getting up at 6:00 or 6:30 and when I pull myself out of bed at 7:00 I'm a bit groggy and slow. Thus it was this morning. However, I made my usual strong coffee and got to work at 8:30 and my mind had cleared and I was awake. Today has been gray and rainy all day and my apartment does not get sun -- I hate the paltry light I get! But, aside from the drippy umbrella and the puddles to avoid it was an okay day. Nothing unusual happened at all -- until I went out about 2:30 leaving work and started down the sidewalk in what passed for broad daylight in this weather. I looked down and -- well the picture tells all.
I have worn one navy and one black sock at times. But NEVER before shoes from two different pair. Thus my title above -- this is not senility, I swear it! It's the Somenex. If it ever happens again it WILL be senility because I'm going to be VERY careful hereafter on these hung over-ish mornings.

1 comment :

Unknown said...

Oh no! None matching things! I would have had to go and buy a new pair of shoes at once. Which means trousers to match and if necessary a new top.....