Thursday, April 02, 2009

Spring, on again, off again


Too beautiful today to stay in and struggle with the "Christmas Cactus" UFO that seems to fight me at every turn. I changed the border entirely and have changed my mind three times already about the backing which I'm not ready for yet -- but, soon I hope. Anyway, the sun managed to beam down on my sewing table for a wonderful half hour as it found it's way to a different point in the sky than it had attained all winter. And I could not stay inside, especially while the radio announcer was saying it will rain all day tomorrow and not be very nice on Saturday either.

There are crocuses in Riverside Park - as above -- looking fresh and humble and a little afraid of the days when the sun isn't shining. And in Central Park the forsythia has become great clumps of sunshine yellow. The daffodils near the rowboat lake are perky -- and the rowboats -- one with rather amorous occupants -- are out and so are sunners on the rocks beside the lake -- but no bikinis yet. School kids are shouting to one another and galloping along the paths and grammas are buying toddlers ice cream on sticks.

Yes, I've seen a lot of springs come but some things are too wonderful to ever become blase about. On a lovely day, one simply has to feel the sun and rejoice.

No comments :