Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Quilt National 2011

Eye candy to savor again and again. I just received the catalog from this year's Quilt National which I quickly looked through, stopping now and then at especially arresting quilts.

Quilt National is the biannual show of art quilts from around the world held at the Dairy Barn in Athens, Ohio. I have been lucky enough to go to some of the shows -=- thus I know that the catalog is a satisfactory substitute for actually getting there but ultimately a frustrating substitute because, just as no photograph can do justice to an oil painting, photographs are even less accurate representations of fiber art where the surface is extremely important. Photographs always distort the viewer's sense of an artwork in terms of size and volume.

I cannot get to Ohio this summer so I will, over the next several weeks take time to read what information is given in the book [not really enough to satisfy me] and it will lie on my coffee table to be picked up now and again and looked at until I have almost memorized the quilts. Seeing fine art quilts is, to me, not different from seeing fine art of any other genre. Many make indelible impressions adding to my knowledge of human creativity and to the concept of beauty.

No comments :