Monday, October 12, 2009

Natural Patterns


These gold October days I try to get out and walk as much as I can, in the woods, on the beach, or just on town streets on the way to the post office. And I happily click away with my digital camera knowing I can delete all the stuff that doesn't look so good flattened out in a picture. A couple of days ago after a night of rain, a walk around a pond revealed all kinds of mushrooms, in various colors, white, yellow, pink, that had sprouted up fresh and clean in the last few hours. There's one above. By the way if you click to enlarge it and see that icky stuff in the lower left of the mushroom and can tell me what it is, I'd be curious. Nature has many mysteries for me.

On the beach a couple of days earlier this conch shell had washed up tangled in seaweed. Its whit shell had been polka dotted with chlorophyll from the deep green weed. This picture is good to click to enlarge and see that the spots are not entirely random. Another mystery. It reminded me of the times quilters use a print fabric for an animal or object that is not normally patterned. Nature does it's own random patterning, as it did the mushroom as it grew so fast it had to crack along the edges.

No comments :