Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Genghis Khan, formerly Horseshoe Crab

This is Genghis Khan [which nowadays, I think, is supposed to be spelled Chenghis]. When Rachel and Patrick moved to Cape Cod a very long time ago, they searched for ways to make a living. They were artistic and tired various things [Patrick has settled into doing excellent glass work, both stained glass and etched; his work is in houses and businesses all over Cape Cod. Click here for a look at the work he does. He also has an Etsy shop. One of the things Rachel did for a short while was turn horseshoe crab shells into Oriental faces which she sold in gift shops. I loved them and had one a long time until it came afoul some disaster I've blocked from memory.

Recently in my strolls on the beach, I found it was the time of year when crab shells were washing up on the beach and I asked her to paint one for me. She Googled something and came up with Genghis. I hope he lasts a long time living on my wall. Familiarity breeds either understanding [or contempt a in somebody's quip]. My too brief trip to Mongolia at least gave me more appreciation for Genghis than I had before. To the Mongols he is "the great khan" who unified the country and won for it a vast empire. He was their Alexander or Caesar [from whence the word khan derives] although to me previously he was one of the most bloodthirsty warriors who ever lived.

I call these ex-horseshoe crabs found on the beach Dad and the Boys. Isn't creativity fantastic?

1 comment :

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

I remember then well while living in New Jersey and going to the "shore". Absolutely love the painted one, so cute and so imaginative.