Saturday, January 17, 2009

A hiatus

These are my paper whites that I grew for Christmas cheer. The bloomed nicely between Christmas and New Year and filled the living room with that sweet-n-sour, slightly acidic lily scent.

I am, as a previous post says, off to Africa in a short while. I have a few last minutes things to do and enough time to contemplate what I might be forgetting. I will post again February 5th or so and hope I can have a link to photos on Flickr. Meanwhile I leave a poem for those who happen upon this blog -- and if you want to see more quilt posts just go backwards through January into December, etc. [mostly quilts, not all] Meanwhile from Nobel Prize winner, Polish poet Wislawa Szymborska:

A Note

Life is the only way
to get covered in leaves,
catch your breath on the sand,
rise on wings;

To be a dog
or stroke its warm fur;

Or tell pain
from everything it's not;

To squeeze inside events,
dawdle in views,
to seek the least of all mistakes.

An extraordinary chance
to remember for a moment
a conversation held
with the lamp switched off;

And if only once
to stumble on a stone,
end up soaked in one downpour or another;

And to keep on not knowing
something important.

2 comments :

Stephanie D said...

Happy and safe travels, June. Will be looking forward to the photos!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Fabulous poem ~ THANK YOU for sharing it.

Have added your blog to my Bloglines list ~ I really like your style!