Thursday, October 16, 2008

Food, Glorious ,,, Veggies

Seems a little callous to go from writing about poverty to food that's fancy enough to cost a slightly ridiculous amount. But have a look at these cauliflowers [click photo to enlarge]. I have never met anyone who said "Cauliflower is my favorite vegetable." It's not my favorite either but I like it once in a while. Barzini's is a local fruit and veggie store that grew as they do here in NYC into a very crowded general store with lots of specialty items, has four kind of cauliflower -- just this time of year. Not other times But they often have green, red, yellow and orange peppers all at the same time - I LOVE the yellow and orange and can eat them like candy. They have grapes in several colors all at the same time and quite an abundance of other wonderful veggies. Inside the store is one of the largest selections of specialty, micro-brew beers I've ever seen, artisanal butter, amazing yogurts even if I don't like most yogurt ... I could go on. This is a haven for the middle class -- yes. Barzini's is not a Dean and DeLuca or even a Zabars. It's too far uptown to be that kind of upper-middle classy. There's fresh bread and good coffee beans and all kinds of prepared stuff [iffy and uneven as far as I'm concerned]. But, hey, when it's three blocks away it's a frequent stop.

3 comments :

Emily Shorette said...

June--

What a great blog! From everything to quilts to the Dalai Lama to thoughts on beggars, this is impressive work. Keep up the good work!

Emily
http://emilyscoffeespot.blogspot.com

Evelyn said...

I've visited NYC a few times (the company I work for has its main office near Times Square). I don't think I could live there, but I was always so impressed by the fantastic markets all over the place. It must be so fantastic to be able to walk to any number of them, and get such a variety of items.

One thing I've always wondered about those markets and all the grocery + deli + buffet places (do they have an official name? I think I've only ever seen them in NYC...). What happens to all the leftover prepared food at the end of the day? In my mind, I pretend they feed the hungry with it...

Kathleen said...

Purple cauliflower...fabulous although do not know if I would buy it to eat....just to photograph!