Monday, July 12, 2010

Top Together


The paper piecing is done, but the paper is still on and needs to be torn away -- then it can be ironed and finished. But I'm not going to finish it until the weather turns less humid and hot. I don't feel like dealing with batting and backing in this kind of weather.

I purchased a book with a version of this quilt on the front at a quilt show a long time ago -- probably 6 or 7 years -- and the book was not newly published at the time. Something about the design appealed to me but I've only now got around to it. And I'm not particularly pleased with the design. What was I thinking? I don't know. It's not bad or ugly to me, just not all that interesting. I guess kind of fussy designs don't greatly appeal to me. At the quilt show yesterday there were many quilts I liked but I stopped at a simple one patch equilateral triangle quilt, a very, very traditional design, and thought I just love the simplicity. I always love those simple old patterns. And the busy-ness of so many new quilts astonishes me with the sewing needed and sometimes the use of color, still, I love the simple old ones. But then, too, some new techniques' or pattern's challenges will appeal to me and I'll want to make it just to see how it will turn out. I am definitely not a disciplined quilter.

2 comments :

Laura said...

I read your blog a few times a week, but don't comment much. I have to comment today, however, because I agree w/your post about fussy designs and all the complicated sewing required in some quilts! Your quilt is beautiful, I think the color choices you made is what makes it so nice. I, too, am attracted to simple quilts at quilt shows and on blogs, and I've learned to make myself step back and simplify everything I make now, instead of turning it into some complicated project, which I've always had a tendency to do! It's more fun and gratifying (to me) to put the effort into the quilting, instead of the piecing, because that's what I enjoy.

June Calender said...

Thanks for commenting, Laura. I'm glad when I'm not alone in an opinion. I really don't enjoy the quilting, largely because I am parsimonious with time and hours of quilting just don't fit into my life style choices--in quiet times I read or write.