Sunday, July 11, 2010

Quilt Show


This afternoon Jinny, my next door neighbor, took me and another of her friends to the quilt show in Falmouth of the Crazy Quilters of Cape Cod. It was a small show but very worth seeing -- not a crazy quilt in it! Most of the quilts were contemporary/traditional. Sizes ranged from small to large, some were Christmas quilts and there was a selection of Christmas stocking quilts, but most were totally contemporary with very good craftsmanship and excellent color choices. Many had been long arm quilted, only one was hand quilted. Only half a dozen could be called art quilts, these were not arresting but it was good to see them included.

The quilt at the top is another of the one-patch Miriam Rosenthal style quilts that so fascinate me just now. I think this is a brilliant example. The quilter chose a fabric that worked extremely well in this method. If you click it enlarges and if you click again it will enlarge every further and you may see why I find it so fascinating.
The border is the fabric that was cut into triangles and made into hexagons which make up the quilt.
There were several quilts that seemed to have come from taking classes in certain techniques or styles. Of these I think the most successful were several tumbling block quilts with excellent color choices and very careful and accurate sewing. Here are two examples.
They are open to new members and seem friendly and dedicated to doing fine work so I think I will probably join this guild, possibly not until September although they meet during the summer months. They are about 20 miles away which is not a big deal. I liked what I saw.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.