Monday, February 11, 2013

While the power was out

 No power, no lights, no heat, no sewing machine.  What to do?  A little reading as long as the light was sufficient but when there's white-out conditions beyond the window not a lot of light gets in.

Candle light is soft and nice but my old eyes don't like to read by it.  However, I can emborider and it just so happens I have a very long term embroidery project so I got busy.  I did four  squares -- one is really so awful it's not going to make it into the final quilt and not
 onto film either.  All will be circles, every one will be different.  Each will be made to "pop" by being quilted onto the square with batting and backing like any proper quilt.  Eventually I'll have maybe 36, maybe 45... My backing fabric won't go beyond that.

As you can see, the candle light and my eyes weren't doing well with the circles of embroidery and I may go back and correct the big bobbles.  I did two more  that I haven't begun to quilt yet.  I'm trying for a good variety of color and designs.  So, as I learned long ago, keeping one's hands busy is a very good thing.

2 comments :

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

You just amaze me June!

June Calender said...

Thanks, Di -- I was told that idle hands do the devil's work so I try not to have idle hands.