Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Spiral quilt finished

Finished at last.  I've forgotten what I named this quilt when I turned in the description to the Bayberry Guild's volunteer collecting information so for now it's called the spiral quilt.  It's approximately 65x70.  It was paper pieced and I made it just because I was curious how to to paper piece a spiral.  I did a practice block and thought it was fun and a way to use up a lot of the fabrics I have with some metallic in their designs.  The red diamonds have a metallic sparkle all over -- but it's not a glittery sort. 
As can be seen, it's heavily quilted, all on my little Bernina at home.  The pattern I used abutted the hexagons but that seemed too busy so I figured out how to turn them into rectangles by adding triangles -- which became diamonds and I invented the border.  I've never used rickrack in a quilt before but the original pattern had rickrack hiding the butted, zigzagged seam so that's what I did.  then the rickrack on the narrow outermost border made sense.

This is what I've been working on off and on for about four months -- and very much "on" during the last three weeks as I realized I'd better get serious about the quilting part if it was to be done for the first weekend of August Bayberry show.  Made it!  In both senses of the phrase.


Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

Outstanding. You deserve a blue ribbon on that one.
Love it.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, June. Stopped by from Nellie's blog. The spiral quilt is lovely. Great colors and design and what a lot of work. Enjoyed the visit!
best from Tunisia,

sonia a. mascaro said...

How! Just satunning!