Saturday, June 19, 2010

June Journal Quilt


My June Journal quilt is titled "Crows in the Salt Marsh". I made a leap that I have not made before. Not finding any tree fabric in my stash that suited me and not wanting to shop for anything new, I chose a fabric that looked like a marsh in winter -- all beige and brown. The I got out the markers, medium and fat, shades of green and turquoise and a brown one for trunks and stems, and colored the whole thing. It's not greatly artistic, but I cannot even draw so I make no claims to having an artist's eye and sensibility. It does look like the shrubs of a marsh to me and the crows -- fancy cut from a design I had and fused -- seem to have some perspective. Since I was lazy and did only outline quilting on the previous journal quilt, I spent an afternoon heavily quilting this -- so heavily I got a feeling of what thread painting may be like ... well, sort-a, not nearly that heavily but very heavy for me. I often don't like the surfaces of heavily quilted works and I don't like the surface of this all that much. But it was an interesting experiment and that's the purpose of the journal quilts for me. So this is unlike any other and I hope I'll be able to say that about each and every subsequent one.l

1 comment :

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

What a great job you did on that. You are so smart. I love all that you are showing here. I still wish I lived next door to you.