Wednesday, November 12, 2008

More Kennel Quilts


I've made five more kennel quilts, that's a total of ten in two weeks. The word for sitting and putting together scraps into patchwork miniatures -- average size is about 16x20 inches though each varies a bit from others in size -- anyway the word is GLEE. That captures the sense of fun of abutting fabrics from various scrap bags [divided by color, smaller bags zipped into a larger one] and putting patterns besides patterns I'd never chose otherwise but seeing that they like to be beside each other. Adding strips for size. What fun! I suppose this is what art quilters feel too when things are really working for them -- except they have the deep assurance that they know what they're doing and I have the slightly giddy feeling that I don't know the rules but I'm having fun with color sometimes in unlikely combinations.

The backing is easy, the use of a terry towel for a filler is satisfying when I think of dogs using the quilts and that washability is important. The quilting is minimal and in straight lines. Then viola!! Another kennel quilt joins the pile. What a good morning it was.

Below is a beautiful quilt by Empire Quilt member, Mary Cargill, on left. A long project, by hand. It was SO awesome, I can hardly wait for our guild show so I can take my time and really admire it. We have loads of good quilters but once in a while something strikes as very special and this is one of those times.

2 comments :

Nellie's Needles said...

What delightful little quilts! And yes, that is the most fun way to work.

Evelyn said...

I love the pink one. :-) Sounds like a really great and satisfying way to use up scraps. Makes me want to get busy making up a few doll quilts for my daughter to play with. The dolls will care about "style" as much as the dogs will!