Sunday, November 02, 2008

Jacket Finished

Finished!! Sigh. I'm really pleased with how the stripes, so random and yet satisfying, have turned out. I especially have to thank some dear Swap-bot friends whom I've never met but love all the same for sending me wonderful selvages cut very generously so I have much of the included, and especially kind Evelyn from Oregon. I'm such a parsimonious miser I usually cut off a minimal selvage. I really appreciate the generosity

This is a front and back view. I've learned a lesson -- this was a "fashion" sweat shirt with a rather low neck - not the high crew neck on men's sweatshirts or the on the kind you purchase as souveniers when visiting vacation-ly places. I should-a bought one of Chuffy's on Main St. in Hyannis where I always stop when visiting there. Anyway, the neckline, after I cut off the ribbing, is really too low to be comfortable outdoors on chilly days. Therefore, this has been designated my read in bed jacket -- and will, in fact, get more use that way than if it were for outside wear. As of mid-October, through early May, I generally spend the last hour of my evening sitting in bed reading, with something around my shoulders keeping me warm and making me sleepy while I read some poetry and sometimes some other book that I have beside the bed.

I'm happy to have another project finished. But I WILL purchase a high necked sweatshirt and make another selvage jacket -- perhaps that won't happen until next spring. The projects are piling up ... oh, and then there's "real" life to live also. So, how do I cram another 3 or 4 hours into the usual 24?

4 comments :

Ellen aka "Ellie" said...

If I had any idea how to leave a sound byte comment (if that's even possible), I'd have to look up Dolly Parton's "Coat of Many Colors" song for you! That's immediately what came to mind seeing your lovely reading jacket. I used to listen to that song repeatedly....

G. B. Miller said...

It is gorgeous!!

Nellie's Needles said...

niiiiiiiice! What a wonderful bed jacket for chilly nights. When you make one as an outerwear jacket, consider getting a simple woven fabric jacket instead of a sweat shirt. I covered a linen one with torn strips of fabrics. My only regret is that I didn't purchase it in black or that I didn't think to dye/paint the white one that I used. To see this jacket, type in "couched embellishments" in my blog's search box.

Evelyn said...

It looks so wonderful! I'm so pleased to recognize a bunch of those fabrics! Makes me really happy to have contributed. :-)