Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Making Kennel Quilts


I really can't resist the ease and endless possibilities of this kennel quilt idea. I've made three little tops with backs to match, only need to iron and add filling [cut up terry towel] then I will add the backing "pillow case" case style and quilt lightly. I'll probably make at least three more. So quick and easy and such a nice thought - how easy to please a little dog! No worry if a line of quilting isn't quite straight, no embarrassment if part of me thinks the print combination isn't really pretty. These are also called "cage comforts" -- but the word cage is discomforting, so I prefer kennel quilts ... words are important, you know.

One thing humans love so much about dogs is their unconditional acceptance of kindness. They'll wag their tails and lick our hands and if they're adopted and cared for, they'll love us regardless of who we are or what we look like or what we believe -- as long as we believe in taking care of them. Simple quid pro quo. I find myself leaning kind of strongly toward getting a dog. We will see, it won't be soon.

1 comment :

Stephanie D said...

I'm thinking of making some for the Cocker Rescue group where I got Tandi. They are really hurting financially, and one of the things they want to buy are Wal-Mart fleece blankets for the dogs--at $3.97 apiece. I believe I could do better than that for them.

Thanks for the idea, June!