Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Sunset yoga on the beach

Deb teaches yoga at the gym my daughter belongs to.  She let it be known to her classes that she would be doing yoga on a nearby beach during July and August, beginning at 7:00 -- timed so that the sun would be setting at the end of the hour-long class.  No charge!

I went with my daughter for the first class although I haven't done yoga for ten years and knew I had lost both strength and stretch but not love of yoga. Only four students showed up the first evening. It happened to be a "blue moon" night when the sun was spreading gold and hot pink across the western sky, in east the moon was beginning it's climb.  I decided to make a quilt to give to Deb,  I had ideas that I couldn't execute but finally my daughter said my idea was not what she pictured and together we arrived at the idea for this quilt.  Strips from my collection of batiks, showing the sand in the middle with the ocean and sky behind, on the left a dune with grass and the  moon rising, and on the right a hint of the parking lot.  In the middle a practitioner doing the tree pose.  I gave it to her last night, which is the next to last session. She was happy with it.  In fact, I'm happy with it too.  So happy I'm considering making one for myself using narrower strips of fabric, probably again batik. Of course it wil be essentially different as I used up much of this  batik. I like the tree pose but last night during the workout I though the warrior pose would be just as good (athough not as vertical). 

Doing yoga, despite my inability to do what the much younger women are doing, has been wonderful. I think it's inspiring me to go back to the practice ans regain some of my competence -- when the weather turns a bit cooler. Right now it's hot and humid (but wonderfully fresh and cooler on the beach). Her students have multiplied and all enjoy the experience.

2 comments :

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

Beautiful. How did you do that yoga position in the middle?

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

Beautiful. How did you do that yoga position in the middle?