Saturday, September 08, 2012

The Big and the Small


I love these Tang Dynesty horses!  Seven or eight years ago I saw a large exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Tang Dynesty sculptured horsse, mostly in bronze, and many drawings from that period as well.  They were powerful and lifelike. 

Within a few weeks I received a package from a quilting friend who often purchased more of a fabric than she actually needed for a project and then, knowing she would not use it again, she sent me the remnants because she know I am basically a scrap quilter.  In the package were thirteen squares cut from the fabric you see here with the Tang horses and their handlers.  After a while I made this wall hanging which is one of three or four that I rotate above my piano.  It's obviously a nine-patch.  So I still had four squares which I put away and have not used until the past week when I was in a swap that called for a quiltie on an "oriental" theme.  Ah, a chance to share my Tang horses with someone else. So I made the little quiltie you see here and have sent it off.  And, while thinking about it, I took down the quilt that was over my piano and rehung the one you see above.  It's one of my favorites.

4 comments :

zippiknits...sometimes said...

What a beautiful quilting story. And what a generous friend. I love that you shared the fabric even more in a quiltie swap.

I love Tang Dynasty horse statues, too. My goal in life, at one point, was to make one from scratch, out of clay and that way I'd have one.

Oh well, that didn't happen. But it could still, since I have my own kiln. Hmmm.....

June Calender said...

A kiln, talent and patience, yes, you can make one.

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

So cute, too bad I was not your swapper.

Le Papillon Vert said...

Lovely quilt.