Sunday, June 17, 2012

Adventures in Design, Joen Wolfron

Being nice to myself, I took the gift certificate my granddaughter gave me for my birthday and the 30% off a regular priced item from the coupon flyer ti Jo-Anne's Fabrics yesterday when I needed a yard of white-on-white fabric and bought myself this nice, fat, much illustrated book:  Joen Wolfrom's Adventures in Design.

Frankly I need it and should do her exercises although I'm not prone to doing exercises just as I'm not prone to taking quilting workshops no matter how brilliant the person giving them. I have an independent streak that is a fault at times.  The dinky little school I went to 1-12 had no art at all so I've educated myself to an extent by reading about great artists, looking at art in many of the great museums of America and Europe and reading quilting art books and magazines.  I still make egregious errors in color choice and much more.  Truly I don't know what I'm doing half the time.

What I do know is that I'm having fun and that some quilts turn out quite nicely -- and some are an embarrassment.  As I wrote below, I'm impulsive as a quilt designer.  And that is not really the way to  go for something that's actually artistic.  Every now and then I've bought similar books and somehow the color wheels never stay in my mind.  Anyway, I really like the looks of this book and I'm going to read it slowly and possibly absorb something by the time I've finished my current projects and am ready to do something  else.  The trouble is there are at least a dozen ideas percolating already and I may impulsively decide I must do one of them first.  Quilting gives me much pleasure but it's not about ego, it's about playing.  My ego is wrapped up in other things.

No comments :