Sunday, April 08, 2012

Lovely new book


This new book from SAQA [Studio Art Quilt Association] is a treat and delight. Edited by Martha Seilman it shows quilts that picture the natural world -- some are almost as realistic as a photograph, others are various levels of abstract. The photos are sharp and beautiful. Best of all, for me, is the extensive description by selected artists of their work -- the hows and whys of what they do. Wonder how on earth a quilter created that incredible peacock? It's explained in the book, in fact, it's by Barbara McKie whose progress as a quilt artist I've been following for nearly 30 years. Like many other fine artists, she just keeps doing new things and getting more amazing. In fact I'm going to a Machine Quilters Expo this week; I went to last year's show (in Providence, R.I) and stood for a good five minutes in front of one of McKie's quilts entranced by the delicacy of the thread painting.

I've been told by my family that I'm the only person they know who actually reads art books. I do. I love looking at the pictures but I love knowing as much as I can about who did that and how. This book's actual publication date was yesterday but Amazon -- canny old, well programmed Amazon -- offer it to be two weeks ago. Very highly recommended.

No comments :