Sunday, February 25, 2007

More Butterflies

Okay, so maybe it is an obsession. Here are four more recent butterflies; they are getting quite colorful. That may be directly due to the winter weather and the total BLAH view from my worktable window.



They are not large, 4x6", or the framed ones are 5x7", You'd think they wouldn't take very long, but counting pulling the fabrics, auditioning fabrics, tracing the pattern, cutting, sometimes fusing, sewing the shapes on, fusing parts, then the wing markings and antennae, doing the quilting around the butterfly it adds up often to5 or 6 hours.



I just read a descriptioin by someone who went to the forest where the Monarchs go in the winter. He said there were as many as two billion monarchs in that forest. When he went away he continued to hear, with stunned awe "the sussuration of two billion butterflies." I'd like to experience that.



So here are the one's I've been working on in the last week or so. I have only one more mat to make a butterfly, or maybe two, for and then I'll take a rest until that wall quilt takes a more distinct form in my mind. Meanwhie I've got other projects -- non-quilting ones -- cooking, percolating, whatever the proper term.

No comments :