Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Selvage Quilt Photo in Header

I have just put the selvage quilt I recently finished in the header behind the blog title. The pattern for this
quilt comes from Karen Griska's book about selvage use. It is the second one I have made from this design which I like very much. It will hang in the place of honor in my living room, alternately with the embroidered quilt that was there until a few days. I previously had as a header this small hexagon paper pieced quilt which I made for the "negative space" challenge of our Uncommon Threads group.  It's the most pieces I ever put into one quilt so small but it was not difficult to do using a paper piecing pattern. It was so much fun I occasionally think of making several of them to go into a mosaic larger quilt. Possible and maybe fun but time consuming and unlikely to happen. There are so many complex paper pieced patterns that appeal to me. But most are small and have no practical use. Since I don't market my stuff they find their way to a closet shelf.

Some people are accumulators and I'm one. I sometimes go through my documents file on the computer -- as I did earlier today and come upon something I remember writing but had forgotten about. It was called "A Peachy Day"and is appropriate to read to my little writing group tomorrow when the prompt is Summer Food. It's about 1000 words describing a trip to purchase a bushel of perfectly ripe peaches and the subsequent hours at home canning them (and eating too). Some of the canned peaches were shown at a county fair's 4-H exhibit. It was about 65 years ago, but when I ate a peach for breakfast yesterday, purchased green from the grocery store and badly ripened on the kitchen shelf, I remembered the perfection of those peaches so long ago. Meanwhile the short essay inhabits its little niche in my file and possibly will some day simply disappear.

No comments :