Wednesday, July 17, 2019

Another scrap quilt on drier sheets

This scrap quilt, on drier sheet foundations, was made exactly the same way the previously shown one was, but I've used light blue stripping between each block. It makes all the difference. The internal design of strips making squares and Xes is still there but not so prominent. I think of this as being feminine compared to the masculine drama that the dark purple stripping made.  The back of this is a pretty floral print with lots of blue and some red and pink flowers.

Here is another quilt I finished last weekend --- the strip stripes are almost all from the remnant bags that the local fabric store, called Tumbleweeds, sells -- they are essentially the  last few inches of various fabrics they have sold from bolts. Many of the novelty prints are designs I would never purchase for a project but they add their own oomph to a quilt like this. It's extremely simple to sew. The quilting was wavy cross lines, nothing more. It is a bit too narrow and a bit too long -- so I'm thinking it should be given to a tall man who sleeps alone.  I may make that  part of the title I give this quilt. I really love randomness and I love mixing colors and designs. Now I'm thinking about how to use up some of the many five inch charm squares I've accumulated. That may be a project I begin tomorrow, although I have an idea about something to do with strips also. For me all  quilts are a kind of visual art play that I am unable to do in an other medium.  And I love that it becomes a useful item.  I don't care what the "Quilt Police" (the standard setting judges of invitaional shows) would say the pattern choices that it isn't well conceived and executed.  

3 comments :

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

June, because I am a color freak this quilt is so beautiful as is the one below
which reminded me of my quilting I did a few years back. You are so creative and a mentor to me.

Grammy CJ said...

Love your scrap quilts, fantastic colors. The light blue separating blocks is a great added touch. Love your creativity.

Donna B. said...

Oh my goodness! I loved the first quilt that I commented on, but like these two even more. Maybe I need to give quilting a try. What do you think? (or can I just maybe buy one of yours?? (assuming I can afford one!!))