Thursday, August 02, 2018

Quiilt Show Time Again

The Bayberry Quilt Guild's annual show starts today. A three-day show with over 300 quilts --great variety from traditional (and some antique ones) to contemporary, modern and art quilts. Many venders. For a change, it is in the sprawling high school building less than a mile away from where I live. I'm eager to see the show. This year's theme is "Four Seasons". I am scheduled for a volunteer job at 1:30 which is perfect, because I can get there around noon and have time to look at the show and perhaps even time to visit at the venders.

I am displaying only one quilt "solo" as it were, a four seasons quilt of which I do no have a photo yet. I may take one of it hanging if the light is good. The photo here is the display of our art quilt group within Bayberry, Uncommon Threads. We are only five and this is a display of our "maps" challenge. Clearly we are very individual. Mine is the Indiana map. The state is woven of 1/2 inch strips to suggest the grid on which the entire state was surveyed before statehood. If you click on the picture it will enlarge but still the rickrack on the map that marks the interstate highways is hard to see. There's a big felt button in the center for Indianapolis, and in the lower section is USrte. 50, a tiny button is approxiamtely where I was born and raised.

The group does a themed challenge every month (except for summer hiatus) The others think much more impressionistically than I do. Each has her own style. We learn from one another. I enjoy having to stretch my imagination.




No comments :