Monday, August 20, 2018

New quilt

I put pictures of quilts I'd like to make "some day" on my design wall. This one was there a couple of years but I truly enjoy black&white &red quilts. Finally last spring I made a pattern for paper piecing this quilt. I only needed a pattern for one quarter of the various squares. But I truly needed it rather than cutting the fabrics just right. I know myself and would have done a sloppy job.  This way not all the points are exact but they are much better than I would have achieved any other way.

My stash of black &white prints is sizable so it was fun to pick out which ones I wanted to use. Finally I found a use for the remnant of red&white fabric I've liked very much but hadn't found a way to use -- it is about half the back along with a B&W print, as the turned back corner shows. Happily I had enough of the remnant to use as a binding. The quilt is very simple. When summer is over this quilt will take a place on the back of my beige sofa and, when I sit at read at night, it will replace a red knitted throw that has lived a useful life as something to keep legs and toes warm while I read.

1 comment :

Grammy CJ said...

June, I love this quilt, such a great choice of colors and love the pattern as well.