Tuesday, January 20, 2015

New Quilt made to be a table cloths

This "modern" quilt was  inspired by Thomas Kearns in his book about modern quilting.  His background was white and he had more circles, but then it was bigger too.  This was made to be  a table "throw" or table cloth and is now on my table. I really like the backing fabric.

What does "modern" mean?  Lots of things if you go through the literature about it.  In most cases it means quite a lot of negative space and relatively uncomplicated patchwork pattern. Often it also means plain fabrics, not prints. However the possibilities are enormous. To me the negative space and the general "Unfussyness" is appealling after looking in the quilt magazines I receive, especially those with quilts that win prizes in the big shows, which are usually complex to the point of being rococco -- although usually very lovely and beautifully quilted.  I think I'm on a bit of a modern kick although I have two not-Modern quilts started. My mind keeps going to modern designs I've seen lately.

No comments :