Wednesday, July 16, 2014

More is More


For nearly a year I have been, off and on, embroidering circle designs on white fabric with a layer of bating and muslin backing and quilting in circles around the finished design.  I was inspired by a quilt Rachel and I saw two years ago in Mancusco International Quilt Exhibit in Manchester, Vermont. I beleive that quilt had 70 some embroidered circles.  It was simple and very fascinating to look at each unique design. I began creating a similar one and Rachel was enthused enough to do five of the circle designs although she is a painter and not a sewer.

The work was slow so I put it aside frequently and made other, more conventional quilts.  Now I've a total of 42 circles  which I put together into a quilt to show at next month's Bayberry Quilt Show.  I like them together without extras -- the inspirational quilt had white designs at the corners of the blocks, either embroidered or crocheted. They did not distract from the embroidery design. But I have a collection of felt and bright plastic flower shaped buttons and decided to see what happened when I put them in the corners between blocks -- not one, but two layers, one top of the other.

I laid it out on the sewing room floor and took photos to help me decide what I thought. I asked Rachel to come over and tell me what she thought. We decided more is more -- more interesting, more exciting although possibly more distracting from the seriously creative circular designs.  So today's job is to sew them on and then the quilt will be finished -- after nearly two years.  It seems amazingly small to have taken so long.

5 comments :

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I like it. It's colorful and lets your eye see more and more with each square. It would make an easy armchair project.

June Calender said...

Thanks, Carol. It mainly was an armchair project. And nothing was actually difficult. Starting every new block was a creativity challenge, of a sort I really, really enjoyed.

zippiknits...sometimes said...

Is that ever gorgeous! I bet you never thought that it would look like it does when you were making each little element. Congratulations on completing your sweet quilt top.

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

There you go again! Really my type of quilting. Beautiful job all of them.

June Calender said...

Zippi, you're very right. The one that inspired it is like the top picture. But I think adding the extra elements makes it much more interesting and really surprises me. Thanks for your insight.