Monday, November 19, 2012

Quilts for Sandy Victims

I have been hoping I'd discover a way to give a coupe of quilts to New Yorkers who lost their homes in Hurricane Sandy.  Happily, yesterday an email from the Bayberry Guild told me that one of the members is driving to the city for Thanksgiving and will take quilts.  She knows of a police headquarters that is collecting donations and will distribute them. 

There are so many charities I would like to give money to but money isn't readily available for such things. However, I seem unable to stop making quilts and certainly don't need all that I have stashed on closet shelves and under beds.  Some become bed size because I just can't stop making the squares -- like this strip pieced quilt I made last spring.  It's on it's way as of this morning, along with another that was made last winter.  Now there is a space under my bed where I was storing them in a zipped plastic bag that once had a purchased comforter in it.  I make it known to family and friends that I would be a happy recipient of any such bags that may come into their homes.  I have no reason to buy blankets and comforters and bed spreads since I always sleep under my quilts.  I'm glad a couple of other people will soon have these quilts. It's a small drop in the empty pail of what they need, but it's something I can do.

2 comments :

Nellie's Needles said...

Wonderful! Wonderful for the recipients! Wonderful for your generosity and caring!

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

Go girl! Great idea and quite generous.