Sunday, November 14, 2010

Nashua, NH show purchase


This is Bernina's lightweight portable sewing machine, the Bernette. It seems almost a toy. Compared to my ancient Riccar [the saleswoman said it had been made by Bernina .. circa 1960] which had only two plastic parts and has, in its old age developed rheumatism, siatica, wheezing, and probably cardiac occlusion, this is a healthy, happy child who has acquired very few skills or competencies but has endless energy and charms me. It was on sale at the Quilters Gathering in Nashua, N.H. at about half price, I was able to bring it home -- a carrying case came with it and it would be ungracious of me to complain that it's kind of an ugly brocade-y fabric.

I walked around the quilt show for about an hour asking myself if I wanted this machine. I have been sorry I didn't have a portable for taking to classes or sew-ins. And I have hesitated for some years about purchasing a new electronic, digitalized machine that does everything except select the fabric colors for you. I keep asking myself what kind of quilter am I? The answer is that I'm happy to be an amateur, am not ambitious to win prizes, don't care about many new techniques -- I don't want to thread paint or embroider or do very fancy quilting. I want to be able to do rather modest things but some complex paper piecing -- but paper piecing is only straight sewing. So obviously I decided I would buy this machine. So far it's easy to use, purrs far more quietly than the growling Riccar. So I am happy.

The Work in Progess that is partially visible in the photo will be finished by dinner time today and, if I can find the hanging rod I think I've stashed somewhere, it will be hanging and I can take a photo later on which I'll post in a day or two

2 comments :

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

Modest pieces? You do fabulous quilt pieces. I love your "new" machine. You don't need a fancy, does it all type sewing machine either. It is really cute.

Laura said...

Your work in progress is gorgeous--it's great how a new machine can give us a boost of creative sewing energy, isn't it?