Saturday, December 16, 2006

Pause for some Poetry

I've ignored poetry for a while -- not that I haven't been reading it right along. So here is a segment of David Young's poem called "Notes on the Poems" -- which are imaginary poems. There are five segments, each witty and wonderful; here's part 3.

Whole families were involved here
and the death wish and the industrial
revolution. You say the third line
about the bathroom in the grocery
was troublesome; I ask,
should a poem make more sense than Omaha?


Okay, David Young and I have weird senses of humor. And then there's ever witty, every inebriated, Dorothy Parker;

Into love and out again,
Thus I went and thus I go.
Spare your voice, and hold your pen --
Well and bitterly I know
All the songs were ever sung,
All the words were ever said,
Could it be, when I was young,
Someone dropped me on my head?

Enough levity for now. I ventured out to an office party last night and will go to a local SAQA meeting this evening and then I hope to return to this blog with a picture of my Monarchs quilt. The light is so lousy in my apartment I have difficulty getting a decent picture -- what's more I have difficulty being sure I have on socks the same color as my slacks or even the same color as one another.

No comments :