Thursday, February 27, 2020

Challenging Paper Pieced Quilt

A month ago at a quilt guild meeting I found a new, up-opened pattern for a complicated paper-pieced quilt block (to be made 16 times for a wall size quilt. The block pattern was 10 inches square and each square had 24 pieces.  I love paper piecing. It's a challenge when it has far fewer than 10 pieces. Most of the month I worked with it. The first block color choices were all wrong. Then I made another four and decided those color choices were all wrong. So I turned to the seemingly unending collection of polka dots (some sort of hanky-panky goes on in the closet at night as the polka dots seem to multiply).
  Anyway I finally chose three colors of dots with sizes from very small to very large and made eight blocks. I did not have the stamina for more. When I put it together and added three borders (black, white and red -I didn't  have enough blue for a fourth border), I decided it has an early 20th century look -- somewhere near Piccasso-ish, not quite art deco. I am undecided whether I like it or not.  I can see other possibilities for the pattern but it was so complex I probably won't come back to it.



2 comments :

Ladydy5 aka: Diane Yates said...

It does look Picasso-ish! I love your choice of colors too. What an artist you are!

June Calender said...

thanks, it was truly fun to make. I think I'll put it in our guild show this summer.